Car accidents are bound to happen. Research shows that the average American will be involved in a car accident at least once. In the United States, Car accident claims are the #1 cause of personal injury cases. A considerable number of these turn into lawsuits.
In cases where the accident results in, but not limited to, serious injuries and death, it is best to speak with Fort Worth car accident lawyers. It is vital that you know, protect and secure your rights after a car accident. We know how hard it is to find out your insurer has found a sneaky way not to pay you or the opposing party’s insurance company has made you agree to waive your rights. No one wants that. So what do you do?
- Involve the Authorities: Don’t fall into the trap of not involving the police. This is a sure-fire way of providing a clean exit for insurance companies. Plus, police reports carry a great deal of importance with claims attorneys and insurance adjusters; so don’t hesitate to call the police and 911 if the accident is serious. This should help protect your rights and future claim.
- Stay Until the Authorities Arrive: Even if you think you could be at fault, never leave the scene of the accident. This is considered to be illegal and can be grounds for a hit and run. What you should do is help out with the other driver, which is a mandate in some states. Not doing so is also considered a crime. Once law enforcement arrives, be accurate with the facts not what you think might have happened. Also, you may be compelled to apologize but don’t. This can be misconstrued as admission of fault that can be cause for your insurance company not to pay your claim.
- Gather Documentation as soon as possible: This is why #1 is very important. You should do your best to take photo documentation of the scene of the accident including traffic light or the lack thereof. Talk to witnesses and try to get as much information as possible, get their contact information and ask if they would be willing to put their statements in writing.
- Get Immediate Medical Attention: It can be difficult to see signs of internal bleeding or broken bones, especially if the pain is yet to set in. Do consult with a physician soon after the accident even if you think you just had a minor bruise or bump. This includes passengers riding with you during the accident. Also make sure that medical evidence provides a link to the incident. It will be your duty to prove the element of causation, which in this case could be done using medical testimony that demonstrates consistency of the injuries with the nature of the incident and that they weren’t there beforehand.
- Before You Sign or Call Your Insurance Company, Talk to a Lawyer: Before signing any waivers or releases and even before you call your insurance company, you should have already sought medical attention and talked with a lawyer. Fort worth car accident lawyers can help a great deal in the negotiation process and you wouldn’t want to do or say anything that your insurer can use to get out of the claim. With the help of an attorney, you can maximize the settlement beyond medical bills and auto repair costs. Especially in the event that you can’t agree on a fair settlement, Fort worth car accident lawyers would be very much a necessity.